Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mommy Half Day

I took a mommy half day today. It was actually like a fourth of a day after working an eight hour shift and showing up at my parents place by six o’clock.

But I had had three uncontested hours to myself.

No demands.

Did I feel guilty?

No.

Should I?

Maybe.

I did take a twenty minute shower.

It was pure bliss. I even got to shave. Highly impressive.

All day at work I had been dreaming of that shower. About using my beyond believable Bath and Body Works body wash and lotion (Sweet Pea). About the hot water warming my African skin…ok, that’s too much info, but the thought of an unrushed shower really was the saving grace that got me through the day.

Being a mom I did think about maximizing this alone time to get my house cleaned and organized. But then I walked through the door and realized I would need more than a few hours to truly tackle my ransacked-looking home.

Then my shower relaxed me so much that I decided that I should wear jeans instead of my usual jogging pants.  So I compromised and folded laundry while I watched The Real Housewives of Hollywood.

Yes, I admit it. It’s one of my dirty little secrets and I am completely hooked on the Hollywood housewives.
They’re like a different species.

They make me love my life.

The ransacked-laundry filled mess it is.

That says a lot because lately that life has been showing its tarnished parts. Dissatisfaction has been rearing its head. Plus, it seems that everyone has a stake in what I do on a daily basis.

But all it took was three hours and the housewives to make it somewhat better.

And David Turtera.

He’s like the Cesar Milan of weddings.

But I realized something in those three hours. That everyone has a purpose, actually several purposes in life. The idea is not to get lost in between your purposes.

After discovering this, I decided my purpose was to enjoy my alone time and not fill it with activities that would stress me out.

Hence I relaxed and watched the Hollywood housewives.

Amazing what a decent shower will do.

2 comments:

  1. Go you! I took a mommy day yesterday myself. Us supermoms, we need to re-energize ourselves. Don't feel guilty!

    You're baby is so cute! Love seeing you on Bloggy Moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hauled my 3 year old to the grocery store yesterday at 3:30 on a $1 sale day just so I wouldn't have to give up my precious few hours of me time this morning. It was a zoo. They could've sold tickets. But now that I'm here, coffee in hand and no kids hounding me with "mom mom mom mom mom I this. mom mom mom I need that" it was completely worth it!

    ReplyDelete